The Toronto International Film Festival has firmly mounted itself a few of the pinnacle movie gala’s worldwide. Held each yr withinside the stunning and multinational town of Vancouver, the pageant brings the cream of globalwide cinema to Canada from over ninety nations across the international. The pageant’s software showcases a huge kind of North American and International function movies in addition to provocative quick movies, documentaries, track videos, animation movies, experimental movies, scholar movies, a screenplay opposition, and plenty more.
The pageant acts as a platform for creative interface and trade of thoughts among impartial filmmakers and the global target target market. Festival goers have their very own percentage of a laugh with the whole lot from Canadian and World film Premiers to shut gatherings and night-lengthy parties. The pageant opens with a filmmaker reception and concludes with the Closing Awards Ceremony honoring the spectacular paintings via way of means of a number of present day exceptional and maximum innovative artists.
Each yr, awards are given in all predominant classes for pinnacle movies, filmmakers, writers and actors. The coveted Grand Jury Award is provided to the first-rate movement photo withinside the pageant decided on from amongst all of the collaborating movies.
Apart from the jury awards, the pageant additionally offers out an annual Audience Award to the movie with the best score as determined via way of means of the pageant target target market.
Cash prizes are provided for the Grand Jury Prize, provided to the first-rate movie withinside the opposition among all classes. The pinnacle 3 prize winners of the Screenplay Competition additionally acquire good-looking coins prizes.
This yr on the Canadian International Film Festival 2012, there are some of awards that have been provided in numerous classes. Grand Jury Award, Audience Award, Best Narrative Feature, Best Documentary Feature, Best Documentary Short, Best of Canada, Best Foreign Feature, Best Foreign Short, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Short Film, Best Student Film, Best Experimental Film, Best Animation, Best Music Video, Best Environmental Film, Best Humanitarian Film, Best Comedy, Best Family Film, Best Television Pilot and Best “Made on Mobile” are the numerous classes on this yr’s pageant.
Toronto Film Festival – Full listing of winners 2012
This yr’s Toronto International Film Festival, the thirty seventh of its kind, awards have been given to some of films of various tastes. With numerous awards at stake, Festival highlights such as “Silver Linings Playbook” and “Seven Psychopaths” took domestic eleven awards in a rite that happened on the Intercontinental Hotel in Toronto. The complete listing of winners is below:
- Best Canadian Short Film: The award became provided to Deco Dawson for “Keep a Modest Head”. The jury made out of journalist and writer Matthew Hays, journalist Katrina Onstad and filmmaker Reginald Harkema. The movie became selected over the others because the movie “expands the limits of documentary and flawlessly displays its surreal difficulty”. The award became a $10,000 coins prize.
- The City of Toronto plus Canada Goose Award for Best Canadian Feature Film: Xavier Dolan’s “Laurence Anyways”. The jury made out of manufacturer and filmmaker Jody Shapiro, CPH PIX Festival Director Jacob Neiiendam, actor and filmmaker Valerie Buhagiar and director, creator and manufacturer Patricia Rozema. The movie became selected “For its breathless cinematic strength and its completely new love tale, the jury felt venerated to look at such unfettered genius at play.” The award got here with a coins prize of $30,000.
- The SKYY Vodka Award for Best Canadian First Feature Film: This class noticed a tie among Brandon Cronenberg’s “Antiviral” and Jason Buxton’s “Blackbird”. The jury made out of manufacturer and filmmaker Jody Shapiro, CPH PIX Festival Director Jacob Neiiendam, actor and filmmaker Valerie Buhagiar and director, creator and manufacturer Patricia Rozema. The coins prize – which became originally $15,000 -, became doubled this yr and each Brandon and Jason obtained a coins prize of $15,000 each.
- The BlackBerry People’s Choice Award: The BlackBerry People’s Choice Award became determined via way of means of the Festival target target market. This yr’s award became given to David O. Russell for “Silver Linings Playbook”. According to Toronto International Film Festival or TIFF, “the movie is an severe, loving, emotional and humorous own circle of relatives tale from the director of The Fighter, David O. Russell, wherein Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence discover themselves companions in a mystery association to rebuild their damaged lives. Robert De Niro yearns to get towards his son (Cooper), as he attempts to preserve the own circle of relatives afloat together along with his compulsive bookmaking.”
The award became a $15,000 coins prize and a custom award which became backed via way of means of BlackBerry. The first and 2nd runner-up became Ben Affleck’s “Argo” and Eran Riklis’ “Zaytoun”.
- The BlackBerry People’s Choice Midnight Madness Award: This award became provided to Martin McDonagh for his film “Seven Psychopaths”.. The first and 2nd runner-up became Barry Levinson’s “The Bay”, and Don Coscarelli’s “John Dies on the End”.
- The BlackBerry People’s Choice Documentary Award: The award became given to Bartholomew Cubbins for his film “Artifact”. The first runners-up have been Christopher Nelius and Justin McMillan’s “Storm Surfers 3D” and the second one runner-up became “Revolution” via way of means of Rob Stewart.
- NETPAC Award for the Best First or Second Feature World or International Asian Film Premiere: Sion Sono’s “The Land of Hope” became the recipient of this award. The jury became made from Laurice Guillen (Philippines), Shelly Kraicer (Toronto/Beijing) and Azize Tan (Istanbul). The film became decided on for its “subtle, complicated and suave account of the social and political elements of a country wide trauma that results in desire and love”.
- Grolsch Film Works Discovery Award: This inaugural award became provided to Rola Nashef for “Detroit Unleaded”.
Top activities on the Canada Film Festival – India in Focus this yr
For the twenty first successive yr, the Toronto International Film Festival accrued an worldwide FIPRESCI jury for the opposition. The jury individuals consisted of jury president Peter Keough (United States), Jon Asp (Sweden), Ashok Rane (India), Louis-Paul Rioux (Canada), Juan Manuel Dominguez (Argentina) and Brian McKechnie from Canada. The following award winners have been determined via way of means of the jury:
- The Prize of the International Critics (FIPRESCI Prize) for Special Presentations: this award became provided to Francois Ozon’s “Dans l. a. maison”. According to the jury, the film became provided “for accomplishing an exquisitely crafted enjoyment that blurs the difference among the storyteller and the tale told, and that assuages with playful complexity the tragedies of existence with the consolations of art”.
- Prize of the International Critics (FIPRESCI) for the Discovery Program: Mikael Marcimain’s “Call Girl” became provided this prestigious award via way of means of the FIPRESCI jury. According to them, the film became “an severe feel of cinema harking back to the American thrillers of the 1970s… achieves a portrait of an difficult to understand international concerning women’s rights and political corruption. Marcimain offers together along with his touchy difficulty with large ease and craftsmanship”.
This yr on the thirty seventh version of the Toronto International Film Festival, the target target market were given a heavy dose of Indian Cinema at its very first-rate. The films ranged from mainstream Bollywood films to off-beat cinema made via way of means of each famend and upcoming administrators and movie-makers. The Indian contingent kicked off the Festival with Indo-Canadian director Deepa Mehta’s film “Midnight Children”. This became accompanied via way of means of famed director Meera Nair’s film “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” and Gauri Shinde’s “English Vinglish”. The latter is the tale approximately the conflict and issues confronted via way of means of an Indian middle-elderly woman (performed via way of means of Sridevi), who has no information approximately the English language. Sridevi became visible at the silver display screen after an opening of virtually 15 years. The movie “English Vinglish” additionally marks the debut of famed director R Balki’s spouse Gauri Shinde.
Deepa Mehta’s “Midnight’s Children” is primarily based totally on Salman Rushdie’s Booker Prize-prevailing novel of the identical name. Salman Rushdie has additionally written the screenplay for the film and this became his first stint as a screenplay creator. This multi-starrer movie is a myth wherein kids born on the point of India’s independence from Britain are proficient with strange, magical powers.
Another noteworthy Indian movie on this yr’s line-up became Meera Nair’s “The Reluctant Fundamentalist”. This film is primarily based totally on Mohsin Hamid’s worldwide first-rate-promoting novel and stars Kate Hudson, Kiefer Sutherland and Liev Schreiber.
The Toronto International Film Festival even hosted 10 movies from Mumbai as part of its City-to-City initiative. Some of the films have been Vasan Bala’s “Peddlers”, Hansal Mehta’s “Shahid”, Dibakar Banerjee’s “Shanghai” and Habib Faisal’s “Ishaqzaade”.
There have been numerous award winners from India on this yr’s version of TIFF. Koushik K.R.’s “An Human”, Rohit Gupta’s “Life! Camera Action… ” and “The View” via way of means of Tanveer Goyal obtained the 2012 Golden Reel Award at this yr’s Toronto International Film Festival.
Manan Singh Katohora obtained the 2012 Rising Star Award for his film “nine Eleven”. “nine Eleven”, a Bollywood-styled mystery additionally received the first-rate narrative award on the 2012 Third World Independent Film Festival (TWIFF). Written and directed via way of means of Katohora, the film fast paced mystery with undertones of terrorism and questions that truth as to how will one live to tell the tale in assembly the developing phenomenon of terrorism face-to-face. “nine Eleven”, which had in advance received the Best Feature Film and Best Director awards on the 2012 World Music & Independent Film Festival (WMIFF) in Washington, is scheduled for a West coast top-rated on September 22nd.